Email Marketing and Pareto's Principle

Most of us would be familiar with the 80/20 Pareto Principle. In recent years we have seen a drastic reduction in the effectiveness of email due to poor strategic execution, dodgy data, the cluttered inbox and many other reasons – now for this popular digital B2B marketing channel this age old principle is starting to take some real meaning.

Most of us would be familiar with the 80/20 Pareto Principle, if not check it out. In recent years we have seen a drastic reduction in the effectiveness of email due to poor strategic execution, dodgy data, the cluttered inbox and many other reasons – now for this popular digital B2B marketing channel this age old principle is starting to take some real meaning.

 

It was only a few years ago that with the right strategy, creative execution and data an email campaign view rate of 50% was achievable. Now average view rates are struggling to reach 30% and may even continue down towards 20%, meaning that old Pareto could be right yet again. It is up to us marketers to prove him wrong, so we must consider how we connect with the other 80% - I guarantee you that many important decision makers and influencers that you need to connect with are in this group.

 

We have all been obsessed with the push approach to digital marketing and it is still a popular approach – time to adapt or be left behind. Let’s revisit Marketing 101 – your overall strategy must incorporate multiple channels that are coordinated to achieve the desired objective. Don’t rely on digital channels to have impact alone, but also consider traditional direct marketing techniques and integrated these with the new digital channels within an overall strategy.

 

Also seek out from your audiences their preferences for being communicated with and empower them to determine what content they desire, when they want it, at what time and frequency and through their preferred channel. If you can nail this you will soon have satisfied audiences who trust your brand, leading to long term and profitable relationships.

 

With some hard work combined with brain power, together we can disprove old Pareto’s Principle for digital B2B marketing.